Healthy gut = healthy body. According to many doctors/nutritionists, “All disease begins in the gut,” and modern research has been conclusive that an unhealthy gut leads to a myriad of diseases and sicknesses.
I have been fascinated with gut health over the past 3 years ever since I came to terms with the fact that my gut was straight up not healthy. I was struggling with indigestion, abdominal pains, lack of energy for 5 years before I finally started to really investigate the problem. Turns out my severe environmental allergies were triggering some minor food allergies and intolerance due to the high inflammation and acidic environment my body was in. I was diagnosed with “Leaky Gut Syndrome” and it sounds as bad as it is. I began to cut out highly acidic foods such as animal meats, dairy, and sugar and began to explore basic supplements and foods to reduce my body’s inflammation and toxic environment. Through this process I found Lemon Water and it has been a life changer. Whenever I forget to have my lemon water for a couple weeks (like if I’m travelling) I instantly notice my gut beginning to go back to it’s toxic ways. So this is what I have learned about Lemon Water since. It really is a miracle worker!
Warm lemon water serves as the perfect ‘good morning drink’, as it aids the digestive system and makes the process of eliminating waste products from the body easier. I squeeze a quarter of a lemon in a large mug, toss the squeeze lemon in there too and pour hot water over it. Here are it’s 9 more incredible benefits:
- By balancing your pH levels, you can help reducing inflammation in your body. Most of us suffer from being to acidic due to the additives in processed foods, too high in sugar/fat/caffeine diets and many other factors. Lemons are surprisingly Alkaline so this helps to neutralize the acidity in your body. And a more basic (Alkaline) body is a better environment for defending you from sicknesses and diseases.
- It dissolves uric acid in your joints, which is one of the main causes of inflammation and pain in joints and knees.
- It helps cure the common cold by acting as an antioxidant and helps protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Basically means your body will be better at fighting and repelling disease.
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- Lemons strengthen the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heartburn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies. A single lemon contains around 30-40 mg of Vitamin C (3) (in comparison an orange contains around 80-90 mg). Vitamin C has been studied extensively and shown to have a myriad of health benefits from protecting against prenatal problems to cardiovascular disease, eye diseases, skin wrinkles, and immune system deficiencies.
- Lemons contain pectin fibre which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
When should you have your amazing lemon drink? Definitely when you first wake up mixed with warm water. And wait about 20-30 minutes before eating anything after you have drank it to fully benefit from it’s cleansing process. Enjoy your lemon water like a mug of tea without any sweeteners because as soon as you add sugar it makes the drink acidic and takes away the benefit of balancing your pH levels.
I hope this helps inspire a healthy start to your day! 🙂
Info help from: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/12/the-2-week-lemon-water-challenge/