This cake is THE BEST THING I HAVE BAKED IN A LONG TIME! I say that in all caps because I have been on a many year stretch of not having a successful baking experience. I have burnt many muffins, had many banana breads not cooked all the way threw, and been very disappointed with overall taste of anything I’ve baked. BUT THIS!! This was exceptional and is my new favourite cake to bake and to eat!! The best part is…it’s SO EASY! Enjoy!
The Pineapple Topping:
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter/Margarine
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar/Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 of a fresh Lemon
- One Can of Pineapple Slices/Chunks
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) + 1 Tbsp Pineapple Juice (reserved from the can)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Coconut Oil (heated in liquid form)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- The most important tool of this entire cake is to use a skillet! The whole cake cooks in the skillet. Start by adding vegan butter/margarine to your skillet on medium-high heat. Add your brown sugar/cane sugar to the skillet and stir. Keeping stirring until everything is mixed together. This will happen fast, make sure to not burn the sugar!
- Once sugar and butter are melted, squeeze the fresh lemon in. The lemon breaks down the crystals of the sugar so they become a sauce instead of remaining grainy. Stir until ingredients are silky and well blended (maybe 30 seconds).
- Turn off the heat on your skillet. Add as much pineapple as you can to the skillet, spreading it evenly across the entire surface. Do not stack the pineapple, but create one layer along the skillet. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn your oven on to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Mix all the dry ingredients of the cake together in a large bowl. Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and keep mixing until very smooth with no chunks.
- Pour cake batter on top of pineapple mixture in skillet. Put the skillet cake in your oven and cook for 52 minutes total. IMPORTANT: After the first 30 minutes of cooking, cover the skillet with aluminum foil to prevent further browning/a dry cake. Cook the remaining 22 minutes with the aluminum foil covering the cake.
- Once the cake is done cooking, let it cool for 10 minutes. Then place a large plate/pan on top of the skillet and flip the cake! The cake should easily come off onto the plate. And voila! Upsidedown Pineapple Cake! 🙂